Announcement

Collapse

EGScans Logo Contest

EGS’s logo contest is currently in progress! Click for details.
See more
See less

Guide: BBCode 2- How to use quote boxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guide: BBCode 2- How to use quote boxes

This guide will teach you how to make a quote box around your text, how to add a reference to the quoted username and how to add a quoted post URL

How to make a quote box:
    Normally, when you use the quote command you will type:
    HTML Code:
    [quote]quoted text[/quote]
    This will give you a box that looks like this:
    quoted text
    But there are two more features you can use in quotes.

Quoting a person
    One is adding a quoted person/username/other at the top of the box as was done with The_reader_of_this_guide by typing:
    HTML Code:
    [quote=The_reader_of_this_guide]hello[/quote]
    Originally posted by The_reader_of_this_guide
    hello
    Hello there, thank you for the greeting ^o^

Quoting a user and linking to his post
    You can also add a link back to the post made where he said this by typing:
    HTML Code:
    [quote=tallrice;99355]This is another guide I made, concerning how to employ BB Code for style in the writing blog.[/quote]
    Originally posted by tallrice View Post
    This is another guide I made, concerning how to employ BB Code for style in the writing blog.
    And the blue arrows beside the quoted name will link to post 99355, as you can see in the HTML box, is the number I put beside the name "tallrice".

Quoting more than text
    How about we quote something from that post. This is a good opportunity to show how, within the quoted text we can even include images or other BB Codes:

HTML Code:
    [quote=tallrice;99355]Within the URL box, you will want to paste the post URL (not thread). to find that, go to the post and click on the number in the top right of the post (#1, #2, #4, etc, as it appears in the thread)
    [img=http://forum.egscans.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2094&stc=1[/img][/quote]
    This will display as
    Originally posted by tallrice View Post
    Within the URL box, you will want to paste the post URL (not thread). to find that, go to the post and click on the number in the top right of the post (#1, #2, #4, etc, as it appears in the thread)
    How to find a post number
    In the guide to table of contents that I am quoting here, I was demonstrating how to find the post URLs.

The numbers: #1, #2 #3 that appear in the top right of each post are circled in red in the quoted picture. These are links for each post.

Each post URL will end in a number that corresponds to the post number. In the case of my post on Table of Contents the post number was 99355 and that is the number that should be included in the syntax, see above.

In the case of this guide here, it is post 101582, so if you were to quote it you would want to write [quote=tallrice;101582] at the beginning of your quote.
    Last edited by tallrice; 11-17-2011, 10:31 PM.

Quoting Multiple Posts

Since this seems to be a commonly unknown process among newer members, I will append this little tutorial to tallrice's much more sophisticated one as an extension of sorts.

To quote multiple posts in a single post of your own, you must label all the posts you want to quote as ones to be inserted as quote statements into your new post. To do this, click on the quotation symbol at the bottom right corner of each post you wish to quote, circled below.

This will place a check mark in this button, but will produce no other visible result. However, when you have selected the final post to quote, either by clicking "Go advanced" at the bottom of the quick reply posting box or by clicking "reply with quote" on the last post selected will bring you to an editing box with all the quote statements of the posts you selected.

You can then input replies between these statements.
    Last edited by mangafan; 10-21-2012, 02:31 AM.

Comment

Thank you mangafan~ Adds a completely new dimension to the guide <3

Comment

Working...
      X