Announcement

Collapse

EGScans Logo Contest

EGS’s logo contest is currently in progress! Click for details.
See more
See less

Feng Shen Ji translation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feng Shen Ji translation

Just a question... if the comic originates from Hong Kong, why are the names and everything translated into Mandarin instead of Cantonese? It just seems kind of... rude to the country of origin imo.

It's like using localized Korean names for an originally Japanese manga. You just don't do that. Even if the scans used are Korean, you still replace the character names with the original Japanese ones when translating to English. I don't see how it's any different with Cantonese and Mandarin. They are both "Chinese", but anyone who knows anything about the languages would know they are very different.

last time i checked, Hong Kong is part of china, and chinese official language is the mandarin, so im not sure what u are talking bout?

also please serie related question in the appropriate sub forum for that serie.

This thread will be moved.
    [IMG]http://i.minus.com/ip2Kljrdonys5.png[/IMG][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Hong kong may technically be part of China, but they speak a different dialect. The written characters are the same, but the pronunciation is different - different enough to be a separate language.

Originally posted by Sharogy View Post
      last time i checked, Hong Kong is part of china, and chinese official language is the mandarin, so im not sure what u are talking bout?

also please serie related question in the appropriate sub forum for that serie.

This thread will be moved.

Comment

while you may or may not be aware, There are different japanese dialect as well, that does not mean Naruto would be translated as anything else than naruto based on where the mangaka is located.

Also, HongKong's main dialect is called Cantonese, a dialect mainly spoken in the Canton(GuangDong) Province, with its physical size 20 times of hongkong in the main land china.
        [IMG]http://i.minus.com/ip2Kljrdonys5.png[/IMG][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
        X