Author's Pun on the Title?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Author's Pun on the Title?

I'm wondering what the author meant by using the hanja 天年九尾狐(천년구미호) in the title page at the beginning of each chapter.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	nine.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	601864
    I suspect this is a play on 千年九尾狐(천년구미호) which is how it was chosen to translated to "A Thousand Years Ninetails"

Since 天(sky heavens) and 千(thousand) both have the same hanja reading of 천 "cheon"
    千年(천년) is 1000 years but 天年(천년) used in the beginning has a different meaning. It means one's natural lifespan. http://hanja.naver.com/word?q=%E5%A4%A9%E5%B9%B4

Is this referring to Banya and his years in the scroll or that he might want to become a human or is it about Banya and So-yoon and how So-yoon's lifespan is limited as a human? Anyone with better explanation?

The Civilization Nyanster

I think it probably is supposed to mean a lot of things since it's a bit vague. Taken literally, it should mean "The Lifespan of a Ninetails", correct? And so it could mean in general for all ninetails; what it means/what it's like to live as a ninetails. And, specifically about him -- the life he's lived, as well as the life he'll choose (becoming human or a god). I think it could also be there to highlight the difference of the lifespan between a ninetails and a human.
    Last edited by Ixis; 05-01-2014, 04:48 AM. Reason: how doesd grammar lol

Comment

Working...
    X