Announcement

Collapse

EGScans Logo Contest

EGS’s logo contest is currently in progress! Click for details.
See more
See less

Proofreaders [OPEN]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello

I just applied for the job and got rejected. Well no hard feelings there cause I fell prey to the "translationese". xD

I want to clarify some things before I give it a second try:

How much can I modify the translation? Is it ok to rip everything apart and replace it as long as the meaning stays the same?
    It really bothered me when I corrected the test, because I thought: Hey c`mon the translator also put some effort into this. I migth ruin his work right now.
    I also put this question in my application: Is it possible to talk to the translator occassionally to get a better feeling for the characteres and the language they are using?
    However, if you tell me that I can treat translators as better versions of electronic translators and I am free to change the words and sentences completely to fit the meaning then that`s ok as well. ^^

Cheers Sage

Comment

1. I won't go that far and say it's okay to "rip everything apart". It is acceptable to rearrange the order of some words, or even clauses, if it makes the lines flow better and is conducive to better understanding. The baseline is that the meaning has to remain intact.
      2. It is good that you respect the translator's effort. That way, you'll bear in mind not to make unnecessary changes. Still, some of our translators aren't fluent in English, so no need to spare their feelings when making fully justifiable grammatical corrections and substituting certain awkward phrasings with better English idioms. What counts as an 'unnecessary change'? Any changes on grammatically correct and perfectly idiomatic lines are unnecessary. For example (unrelated to the test), changing "This is scary" to "This is frightening" will only serve to antagonise the translator.
      3. Yes, you are free to private message the translator, or talk to him/her on IRC, whenever you need clarification.
      4. "Being bothered when correcting errors" and "treating translators as better versions of electronic translators" are two extremes. Practise moderation and find a balance between them is the way to go.

Good luck with your second attempt.
      [CENTER][SIZE=2][RIGHT][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Times New Roman][I]あの日交わした約束の空は色褪せない
      [/I][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Times New Roman][I]The sky under which we shared a promise that day will never fade away[/I][/FONT][/COLOR][/RIGHT]
      [/SIZE][/CENTER]

Comment

Proofreading Test Help

What if winrar doesn't work on my computer? Is there any other way to take the test? Sorry for being a bother... :P

Comment

but... you can download winrar for free and if that doesn't work there's also 7zip
          sigpic

Comment

You can also use PeaZip or 7zip.

Comment

To all those who sent us his/her application, so sorry but we will be replying late for a while.
              the admins who check the App are a bit busy~
              your crazy cleaner~
              the project finisher!

Goals for this year-
              1)Finish Amatsuki 137/154
              2)Finish Embalming 38/58

Help make it come true! ^^

Comment

Temporarily closing this position until the latest trials have been completed.

Comment

Hi! I know you said you guys were busy and the position has been temporarily closed, but uh... I sent an application on the 13th and just wanted to know if you got it. >.< You don't have to look at it now, but I just wanted to know. ;c ; Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by TinyA View Post
                    Hi! I know you said you guys were busy and the position has been temporarily closed, but uh... I sent an application on the 13th and just wanted to know if you got it. >.< You don't have to look at it now, but I just wanted to know. ;c ; Sorry.
                    Yes, we got it.
                    [CENTER] [IMG]http://egscans.com/EGS_Recruitment_Tests/sigforMU.gif[/IMG]

[/CENTER]
                    [SPOILER] [/SPOILER]

Comment

Ok. Thank you!

Comment

Hello! I'm just wondering do you have any idea of when applications will be open again?

Comment

When we have more translators,

Though atm there is a pr position open for novels.
                          [IMG]http://i.minus.com/ip2Kljrdonys5.png[/IMG][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

PR position is officially open again, For the two on-going novel series @ EGS.
                            [IMG]http://i.minus.com/ip2Kljrdonys5.png[/IMG][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Manga PR positions are now temporarily closed due to lack of translations.

If anyone is interested in Novel Proofing, please continue to apply.

Comment

Reopening manga PR positions. We're only looking for 2-3 proofreaders to work on the following projects:
                                • Feng Shen Ji 3
                                • Fukushuu Kyoushitsu - Revenge Classroom
                                • Piano no Mori

Those interested in working on Feng or Piano must be extremely reliable and dedicated because these two are regular releases (bi-weekly for Feng and weekly for Piano). Don't apply unless you're certain that you have time for it.
                                Last edited by Kusunoki; 11-28-2015, 04:33 PM.
                                [CENTER][SIZE=2][RIGHT][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Times New Roman][I]あの日交わした約束の空は色褪せない
                                [/I][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Times New Roman][I]The sky under which we shared a promise that day will never fade away[/I][/FONT][/COLOR][/RIGHT]
                                [/SIZE][/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                                X