Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Writers' Cafe

Senior Member Is Awesome Ibizen Thoth's Avatar

Writers' Cafe

Well, I thought that the writers needed somewhere to relax and share ideas and writing techniques. I don't know, seeing how little activity the writer's blog got was bothering me a little too.

Objectives:
    To provide a relaxing and easygoing thread, away from the constant tapping of keyboards, a method of fighting the carpal tunnel menace (rather retroactive, since we're typing to post here anyways).
    2. To allow writers to share ideas for works, teach young writers new tricks, and discuss story structure and theory.
    3. To help the international writers develop their repertoire of English language tools and references.
    4. To light the passionate creativity and burnish the steel determination needed for writing.
    5. To encourage new writers and give serious feedback to veterans.
    6. To attract more writers and bring in more interesting stories for the wonderful EGS community.
    7. To brainstorm with others and to battle writer's block.

Don't take the objectives too seriously though. As Captain Barbossa from the Pirates of the Caribbean said, they're just "guidelines". Nothing kills a the fun like taking things too seriously.

EDIT~(by mangafan)

Hey guys! Be sure to join the writers' Club!!

http://egscans.com/forum/group.php?groupid=18

Last edited by Ibizen Thoth; 07-16-2011 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Clubs!!!

Retired EGS Honorable member High Poster <3 mangafan's Avatar
    Quite the list of objectives. I've got a question, though this really isnt too much about writing, other than that it's for my story. If you--anyone--found out that someone you were pretty close to (as in a good friend) had killed tons of people, how would you react? Under the conditions that they just left the area, you're with the rest of you're friends, and you all just found out. Sorry if this is unrelated, but I've been stuck at this point for forever.

No, no, this is completely fine. It's actually one of the things I wanted on this thread.
    I should add brainstorming to the list too...

On your question: If the people dead are strangers, and the bodies are unseen, then you could have denial, even light hearted joking. If they are strangers, but the bodies are in proximity, then it's automatically fear and confusion. If the dead are people you know, then shock, fear, anger.

You could have a lot of different scenarios, mostly dependent on the little details.

>.< okay thanks. I'll see what I can do about editing that >.>oof. I'm def not posting anything I write. It all sucks >xP

Oh, no one's bad at writing, it's just what you do to develop. Writing, like any art, takes a concerted and disciplined effort. If you treasure it, it'll treasure you right back.

Personally, I think everyone's got a style that they gravitate towards, and it's just a process of uncovering that style.

Haha thanks for the kind words, but I really suck. I can only write smart-ss conversations of people mindlessly making fun of each other

....And I have trouble with making good plot. Everyone has weak points. Conversation's a nice place to start though. It's spontaneous, and it allows for a lot of initial creativity.

The first thing I do is find a spark of inspiration. I got the idea for Mary & Sue from the Mary Sue character type http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MarySue. I thought, what would happen if I created two characters who deconstructed what it meant to be a Mary Sue type character (i.e. the perfect girl). Then I spent a while pounding out a few details and coherent histories for characters. I still haven't settled on a specific, point to point, plot yet, which is causing a little bit of writer's block.

Just start with something you want to write about, and grow it.

Ugh I think I might scrap this story any way. My character is waaay too much of a Mary sue, which I already knew before >.

TvTropes.org is a good site to help with inspiration. It's something I used to read a lot from, since it had articles about story cliches and useful narrative devices. There's nothing like link surfing on a wiki to make your creative urges start to itch.

Haha someone's a really avid writer ^^is it just you and me who keep up with the writing threads? I think I g2g soon, so byebye ibizen ^^ sorry