Thread: Guide: Table of Contents

Senior Member Is Awesome tallrice's Avatar

Guide: Table of Contents

If your story that you wish to share in the writer's blog is lengthy and divided into chapters then consider posting each chapter separately and making a table of contents in your first post. This will look neat and will help readers navigate your novel.

(Courtesy of Mangafan's instructions, which were of great help when I started writing here! I have copied images and instructions from the pm sent to me in the hopes that others might also benefit from this! Thank you Mangafan-sensei m(_ _)m)

To do this, you can follow a couple simple steps :

1. Contain your table of contents in a quoted box, in order to look neat. The syntax for quoting is,
    HTML Code:
    [QUOTE] add your Table of Contents here*[/QUOTE]
    Quote material looks like this:
    Chapter 1: Test
    Within that, you can write down your chapter titles, as I gave an example of above and then you can link them to the relevant chapter post in the thread.

To make links in your text, highlight the text (ie "Chapter 1: Test") that you want to link then click on the icon in your comment tools that looks like a globe with a small grey infinity sign at the bottom. See image below:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Linking.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	14.6 KB 
ID:	2095

Within the URL box, you will want to paste the post URL (not thread). to find that, go to the post and click on the number in the top right of the post (#1, #2, #4, etc, as it appears in the thread):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	post URLs.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	2094

Copy this URL into the link and press OK. Your new Table of contents should look like this:

When someone views the table of contents now, clicking on the chapter link will redirect them to the chapter post.

I hope that helps new writers here at the forum and can help consistency in good layout!
    Last edited by tallrice; 02-19-2012 at 02:52 PM.

Test!

To demonstrate the post links in the Table of Contents Guide!

Senior Member Is Awesome Ibizen Thoth's Avatar
    I am honored to see mine post in a web tutorial for a table of contents.

Haha, well, if I quote the first line of the guide mangafan sent me so long ago now, "If you want it to look very similar to Ibizenthoth's, then everything will be contained in quote code, which look like this:" was the first line. So you have definitely been one of the great examples of this~ Thank you for your work on promulgating the system, hope you like the guide.

Retired EGS Honorable member High Poster <3 mangafan's Avatar
    Hahaha luv ya ibizen ;D no shame in wasting perfectly good advertising space, mm?

pst everyone...click the link and go read ibizens stories if you haven't already

Senior Member Is Awesome Ibizen Thoth's Avatar
    Of course, watch me turn into a money grubbing, commercial writer!