Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zodiac December Story by Malamber -- DEC Winner

We dig you!

Zodiac December Story by Malamber -- DEC Winner

After putting the games away in preparation for dinner, Shin Woo thinks about how fun life has become since Rai came to school. Realizing the date is December 1st he wonders if Rai will return home for Christmas.

“Hey Rai, what are your plans for Christmas? Are you going home to visit your parents?”

All side conversations stop and everyone turns to look at Rai, showing interest in his answer.

Not knowing how to reply, Rai simply looks at Shin Woo.

Unsure of Rai’s blank look, Shin Woo asks.

“You do celebrate Christmas don’t you?”

When Rai’s expression doesn’t change he asks.

“You don’t know what I’m talking about do you?”

From the kitchen, Principle Lee answers.
    “They don’t celebrate it in his home country Shin Woo, but we do plan to be here on the 25th.”
    Turning to Rai, Frankenstein continues talking as he carries his special recipe Ramen to the table.
    “In this and many other countries, they celebrate December 25th with the exchanging of gifts meant to show appreciation for the time spent together throughout the year.”

When Rai shows a spark of interest Shin Woo puts forth his idea.

“How about we gather here that afternoon and celebrate together?”
    Feeling he has come up with a great idea, he turns to the rest of the group only to see Suyi with a frown on her face.

“What’s wrong Suyi?”
    “I have an Idol tour that starts on the 23rd and runs until after New Year’s Day, so I can’t be here.”

Grabbing Suyi’s hand Yuna replies.
    “That happens almost every holiday; I wish we could spend a few together.”

With real regret in her voice Suyi says.
    “I know Yuna, but it’s my job and I really enjoy it, though it is inconvenient sometimes.”

As Seira places the last dish on the dinner table, the group begins to move to their respective places.

“Tell me more of this gift giving ceremony.” Regis says with interest, as he slides out and holds the chair for Suyi.

After helping Seira settle into her chair Shin Woo answers.

“Well you buy a gift for a friend, and then wrap it in colored paper so they can’t see what it is when you give it to them. Then you gather together and rip the paper off to see what you get.”

“Sounds messy.” Is the response from Regis.

In his cautious voice M-21 asks.
    “So you buy gifts for all your friends?”

Ikhan answers. “Well with a group this big it would end up being too expensive. We should do something like a Secret Santa and draw names to see who buys a gift for whom.”

Speaking fast; as always Tao says. “I could make a program on my computer to analyze our distinct personalities so people are matched up perfectly. It would take little time and I wouldn’t mind the effort.”

Ignoring Ikhan’s hopeful look, Takeo says. “I like Ikhan’s original idea, the randomness appeals to me.”

Loving the idea that he has a chance to buy a gift for his beloved master Frankenstein says.
    “I will prepare the necessary items for the draw after dinner.” Wondering if with his powers sealed he has enough speed to check each piece of paper for his master’s name to insure he draw’s the correct paper. Catching a reproachful look from Rai, Frankenstein thinks to himself. (Dang I forgot Master can read my mind. Sorry Master, there is still a bit of the old me left.)

After dinner, Frankenstein enlists the help of Suyi to go to another room to fold the paper with the names on it, and then place them in a vase; seeing as she won’t be participating.
    When she enters the living room again Suyi says. “To go over the rules decided on during dinner again, you may not spend more than $100.00 on your gift. If you draw your own name, you refold it and put it back after drawing another name. You may not ask the person that you drew what they want, nor should you try and learn who has your name. Everyone agree?”

When everyone agrees Suyi walks to Yuna indicating she should draw first.

Closing her eyes and reaching into the vase she grabs the first piece of paper she feels, pulling it out Yuna opens it then slumps in her chair with a slight blush showing on her cheeks. (I got M-21, OH OH I GOT M-21!!!) Then her stomach flips over. (I have to get him something good, it can’t be something childish. Who can I ask for help on this?)

Smiling at the reaction from her friend, Suyi walks to Principle Lee next.

Repeating (Please let me get Masters Paper!!!) over and over in his head like a mantra, Frankenstein sneaks a peek to see if his master is watching him (Damn he is.) he then draws a piece of paper. With a slight frown on his face Frankenstein reads Regis’s name and thinks to himself. (This will take careful thought.)

Rai being the next to draw opens his paper to see he has gotten Yuna’s name. As tempted as he is, he resists the impulse to read her mind to get an idea of what flavored Ramen she likes best. Running ideas through his head he begins to see the difficulty in choosing only one gift to represent so much.

Next is M-21, who draws Rai’s name. He immediately starts to gather ideas.

Sitting next to M-21 is Tao who‘s first draw is his own name, refolding it he grabs another piece of paper before replacing his name in the vase. Opening the paper he sees {Principle Lee} knowing it is the name the children know Frankenstein by, he wonders if he should do some intense surveillance or just enter the knowledge he has into his program to get the perfect gift idea.

Next up is Takeo who draws Ikhan, Wondering if he should get some gift ideas from Tao seeing as they are so alike, he begins to think hard.

Seira with her usual calm expression reaches into the vase and extracts her choice. Showing no change in expression she reads Shin Woo’s name.

With polite interest Regis reaches into the vase then opens his paper and reads Takeo’s name.

Bouncing with anticipation, Shin Woo reaches his hand in the vase and swirls the remaining papers before choosing one. Opening the one he drew his muscles lock in place and surprise is easily read on his face as he reads Seira’s name. (He checks twice to make sure he isn’t seeing things.)

Last to draw is Ikhan who almost dances with joy at seeing he has drawn his mentor’s name, Tao.

Shortly after the drawing was done, Suyi breaks the silence by pointing out the time and the need to return home.

Walking home, the group of Shin Woo, Ikhan, Yuna, and Suyi start talking amongst themselves.

“Did anyone draw a name from this group?”

Looking at Ikhan, Shin Woo says “No I got Se…Seira.” Hiding a smile Ikhan says “I got Tao.” Both guys look over at Yuna with questioning eyes. To their surprise she looks at the ground and in a quiet voice she says “I got the Ajusi M-21.” Ikhan looks ahead wondering at her response. (I wonder if she is upset that she didn’t get Rai’s name.)

Walking closer to Shin Woo he asks “What are you going to get her?” With a rare thoughtful look he says “Man I just don’t know, she is a Noble so anything I get will be pale in comparison. Even if I had all the money in the world though I just can’t seem to think of anything, she is just so self poised and confident. Could you imagine getting her something lame like perfume? She would never say anything against it but I want to get something that is right for her!”
    Sympathizing with him Ikhan offers some ideas. “How about a new phone cover or a new computer game or even a bunch of passes for the P.C. Bang, something like that?”
    Not in the least bit surprised his friend’s gift ideas run along with technology, Shin Woo says. “None of those really feel right for her; this is going to take some time. Times like these I miss my mom she would offer some good advice, but how would I describe Seira to her without making a fool of myself.”

Not completely understanding Shin Woo’s difficulty Ikhan offers a last resort. “Don’t the big stores have older ladies in them that you can ask for advice?” Lost in his thoughts Shin Woo does not reply. Looking back Ikhan sees Suyi and Yuna with their heads together whispering back and forth. (Wonder what that’s about? If Yuna needs help to buy a gift for a guy she should be asking me and Shin Woo.)

“Suyi… Please stop, I just need to think about it for a bit is all.” In a voice she is sure won’t reach the guys walking ahead Suyi says. “This is a perfect chance for you; I’ve seen the looks you throw his way, and don’t think I didn’t notice you hitting the zoom button to focus on him when you took all the security guy’s picture with you new camera.” Blushing even more, Yuna defends herself “It was a new camera and I… I accidently hit the wrong button first.” (Dang I didn’t think anyone noticed that, but Suyi has always seen right through me.) “Besides Suyi I think I already know what I’m going to get him, I just have to think about what to put on it.”

Not wanting to push her friend any farther, Suyi keeps the rest of her comments to herself.

Back at the house Takeo approaches Tao. “You didn’t draw my name did you, I’m just asking because I’d like to ask you for advice. I’m not trying to break the rules and they said nothing about seeking advice from your pick’s friends. Anyway I got Ikhan and I’m at a loss for what to get him, my first thought was to get him a hand gun but the money limit would make that difficult.” When Tao bursts out laughing at the thought of Ikhan holding Takeo’s idea of a handgun, Takeo looks a little hurt.
    “I’m sorry Takeo the picture in my head was just too funny, the best advice I can offer to you is think about what you would get me, something technology related.” As he finishes speaking the computer flashes at him with its choice of gift according to the information given. Seeing a look of surprise on Tao’s face Takeo asks. “What is it?”
    “Well I entered the Bosses information into the program I made and its report of a perfect gift is a little hard to understand.” “What does it say? Maybe you entered the wrong info.” After thinking a few moments Tao answers “No, now that I think of it the response {His Master} makes a lot of sense, but how to do it?”

Sitting downstairs finishing his tea, Rai is approached by Frankenstein. “Master, I’m sure your recipient would enjoy Ramen as a gift but that may not carry all of your feeling in such a situation.” Taking another sip of tea Rai responds. “I guess I should go with my second selection then, after all she gave me my name in this time.”

Hearing this M-21 stands up and goes to Tao’s room on the second floor, passing Regis and Seira in the hallway he hears Regis say. “Why do all holidays’ humans come up with end up being so messy? Such strange customs these humans have, but some can be enjoyable until its cleanup time.” Proceeding to his destination, M-21 is too far away to hear Seira’s response. He politely knocks on Tao’s door.
    “Come in” Opening the door he sees both Tao and Takeo, but doesn’t pause as he makes his request. “I need copies of all your school surveillance records and I’m sure you have [improved] the security here so I would like the files for here also please.” Wondering why M-21 is making such a strange request Tao says “Sure I can have it all copied for you by tomorrow.”

Over the next few weeks the gifts all wrapped in different colored paper began to trickle in to be placed under the tree. As the time drew nearer it seemed that everyone continuously glanced at the present stack, sometimes checking the present that they brought insuring the wrapping had not been disturbed and other times wondering what gift is for them. (Tao had set up security sensors to detect if anyone messed with the presents. Only the kids didn’t know of it, but they managed to control themselves during their time at the house.)

On the 23rd of December the group gathered to bid Suyi farewell and as she went to board her plain she stopped at Yuna and leaned in to her speaking softly she said “Don’t worry it was a great gift idea, I just wish you had been a little more direct with the inscription.” Blushing but offering only a “Be safe!” as an answer Yuna watches her best friend leave before yet another holiday.

On the afternoon of the 25th of December the group gathers in the living room. Requesting that she receive her gift last Yuna offers to select and pass out the presents one at a time so everyone may see what each person was given.

Reaching under the tree Yuna randomly grabs a gift and reads the first name. “To Ikhan from Takeo”

Taking the small box shaped present from Yuna’s hand Ikhan turns to Takeo and says “I can’t wait to see what you got me.” Watching as Ikhan tears off the blue paper with a quick motion of his hand, Takeo wonders if he selected the correct item. As Ikhan reads the name on the small plastic box he looks up to Takeo with a large smile on his face and says “Voice Run, the program!!! I read about this, you can type on one program and by voice do another at the same time, this is so great Takeo, thank you so much!!!” Seeing Regis eye him pointedly, Ikhan crumbles up the paper and puts it in the garbage container near the couch.

Smiling Yuna reaches for the next gift without looking, when she brings it out from under the tree she looks at the tag and says “To Rai from M-21” then hands the thin package to Rai.
    Following the same motion Ikhan used to unwrap his present, Rai removes the paper that resembles a dark snowy night. Left holding what appears to be a picture frame he looks questioningly at M-21. “If you press the on switch at the back it will show you the pictures I have gathered of all your friends at school as well as here in the house, also mixed in are pictures of different landscapes in different seasons. You can set the time each picture will change out for another one.” Rai gives a surprised look at M-21 then looks again to the frame in his hand and turns it on immediately.

Seeing that M-21 is done with his explanation of his gift Yuna reaches for the next gift. “To Shin Woo from Seira.”

With a shocked expression Shin Woo takes the small white paper wrapped gift. Forgetting his plan to rip the paper apart furiously he carefully opens each end and slides his finger under the tape trying not to rip it unnecessarily. Uncovering a small jewelry case made of black felt, Shin Woo’s heart thunders as he opens it and sees a small silver cross; the type you pin to your shirt collar. Looking to Seira for an explanation she stares at him intently and says “It belonged to my father, who also was the type to stand between danger and his friends simply because he could.” Not able to make a coherent sentence Shin Woo stutters out a thank you. Staring at the cross so intently, Shin Woo is only able to take his eyes off it when he sees Yuna handing a gift to Takeo.

Tearing the solid black paper in two halves Takeo opens the box and sees a black vest much like the one he wears when he expects a fight to break out, but the feel of the material is different so he looks questioningly at Regis who replies to the look with “It is made of material made only in my home lands, it is more sturdy than anything made (throwing a look at the kids Regis changes his wording) in this area.

When Yuna pulls out the next box her hand jerks like she wants to put it back, or maybe hide it behind her back. But when everyone focuses on her she takes a deep breath and without looking at the tag she says “To M-21 from Yuna” Blushing a little she hands the box to M-21 who wordlessly takes it.

(M-24 my brother, I feel you would have liked this day very much.) Removing the silvery/gray paper he opens a small box to see a titanium watch, he looks to Yuna and offers a smile in thanks only to see her looking at the watch and not him. Returning his gaze to the gift M-21 takes it out and notices an inscription on the back that says [You can only be true to your feelings.] Wondering if the girl has the power to read his mind M-21 feels his eyes sting a little as he looks to Yuna saying nothing just nodding.

Quickly, as if wishing to hide her face Yuna looks for another present to hand out. Reading from the tag she says “To Principle Lee from Tao”

Smiling his urban smile Frankenstein takes the box and removes the paper, inside is a small pink container. Opening it he sees a square locket made of gold with a silver cross on it, opening the locket he immediately sees a picture of his Master on one side and inscribed on the other is. [To Whom My Life Belongs!] The smile drops from his face as he speaks to Tao. “This is early 19th century and far more valuable than $100.00, it is truly grand but it breaks the rules I cannot accept it.” Tao smiles and says “No I got this from an on-line auction for $92.00 so it is well within the rules boss.” Hearing this Frankenstein grips the locket and whispers “Yes I was correct you would do very well in the world.”

“Next is To Tao from Ikhan”

Opening the green and black (Matrix) paper Tao sees an old laptop, probably from the mid 2000’s.
    Quick to explain Ikhan says “It was my first laptop and as it was a computer that allowed us to first meet I thought it fitting to give it to you, I hope you understand.” With a smile of understanding Tao replies. “I’m not much for sentimentality with technology but this I will hold dear.”

“To Seira from Shin Woo” Yuna shares a smile with Shin Woo who then looks at his feet.
    Grasping the offered wrapped bundle Seira says “It feels soft” then she opens the badly wrapped present. Under the wrapping she finds a piece of clothing and a handmade box, before she can open the box Shin Woo says “It was my mother’s apron and a box I made for her to keep her recipes in, she was always complaining about them getting lost, and and I know you really enjoy cooking…” In a subdued voice he continues “You probably would have preferred some perfume.” Letting the warmth she feels enter her voice Seira says “I will cherish them as you so obviously cherish your mother.” Then she flashes her smile at him, astounding everyone in the room.

Yuna then says “Next we have To Regis from Principle Lee”

Taking the long round object Regis unwraps it to see it is a cane almost exactly like the one used by his Grandfather. Frankenstein’s voice breaks his surprise, “I made it to resemble your Grandfathers but added a silver ring so there would be no confusion next time you see him.” Running his hand down the length of the cane Regis thanks Frankenstein.

Having kept track of who gave to who Ikhan says “That only leave your present Yuna.”

Picking up the last small box Yuna says “To Yuna from Rai” Removing the red wrapping Yuna next opens the box and gasps audibly at what she sees. Yuna pulls out a necklace with a wolf head as the ornament, as she stares at it intently, holding it in trembling hands. Rai says “ It has a slight imperfection as someone made a scratch on the right side of the Wolf’s face, it can be fixed if you wish.” Shaking her head Yuna says “No. it is the imperfections that make something original.” Casting a secret glance at M-21 she continues “It also makes it all the more desirable!” Seeing Rai caught her glance Yuna blushes deep red.

100’s of Miles away Suyi opens her phone to see Yuna sent her pictures of everyone and their gifts and the last picture had all of them holding a sign that said.
    Be sure to return next week before the next chapter of our life is written!!!
    Last edited by Malamber; 01-05-2012 at 08:01 AM.

We dig you!
    I guess it is fitting that i be the sacrificial first post to make sure this works out. Hope everyone enjoys it and catches all the subtle parts i put in lol. Regardless it was fun for me to write it.

Thank you all!!!

And remember the voting wont take place until December 23 and you will have tell the end of December to make the vote also.
    Last edited by Malamber; 12-01-2011 at 06:45 AM.

Senior Member High Poster <3 freckish's Avatar
    I really like the sentimentality being presented in your work malam. It warms the heart and at the same time lightens up the mood since there are funny scenes to it. It makes the readers feel the essence of gift giving and being with the poeple you care during a special holiday. You can feel the spirit of christmas.

additional: It also wanna make you love every single character and again flawless!
    Last edited by freckish; 12-01-2011 at 01:48 PM.
    ‎"To think is easy. To act is hard. But the hardest thing in the world is to act in accordance with your thinking."
    Spoiler

Super Moderator
    ~Good Job~Good Job~
    You really got into the heads and hearts of the characters.

Senior Member Is Awesome impertinent's Avatar
    This is great... malam... I want a continuation on this one...

I cant post a thread.... and I cant post my story so it seems I'll not be posting it anymore.... cuz I cant make a thread... im not permitted i guess.....

anyway.. great story!!!!

Senior Member Is Awesome impertinent's Avatar
    @SHINDAYUKI... POST IT HERE then... if you can'y make a thread...

We dig you!
    creating the thread problem should all be fixed up now. everyone thank Tallrice for fixing it.
    THANK YOU TALLRICE he he
    Last edited by Malamber; 12-01-2011 at 06:39 PM.

Senior Member We dig you! daicey's Avatar
    Good job~
    Good job~ Justin!

You forgot the fangirl character though,
    My mind is currently rented by someone else...

Senior Member We dig you! daicey's Avatar
    Thank you Tallrice...
    My mind is currently rented by someone else...