Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We are looking for a writer to ...

Retired EGS Honorable member Claudia's Avatar

We are looking for a writer to ...

Hello all :)

We are looking for a writer to write a review about any manga he/she likes to be included in our magazine Easy Going Life

Is anyone up for the job?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Review writers for issue #2 / Project selection:

Malamber (review) = Choujin Gakuen
    Pocky = Under Prin
    Sachula (review) = Dentrobates, Hell's Kitchen, Lost in London, Wake up Deadman

Please submit by March 20th
    -----------------------------------------------
    Review writers for issue #3 / Project selection:

Malamber (review) = Bonnouji (maybe)
    Malamber (essay) = Shin Woo from Noblesse
    Fathom (essay) = Dark Mage
    Sachula (review) = Necromancer, Noblesse (maybe), TAL

Please submit by May 20th
    -----------------------------------------------

There will be 2 different types of reviews you can write:

The Review
    This should be a short review that goes over different fields.

Your set up should follow my layout here. This can be changed to fit your own criteria if there are certain fields you want to cover:

Quick information:
    Manga title
    Author name
    Review by: (username) you can include a blog/website you list other reviews on, if relevant.

Review information:
    Brief Summary: Not a spoiler, just a quick opening remark on the series
    Plot: Your evaluation of the plot and why (this is not describe the plot)
    Characters: The techniques the author uses to portray characterisation.
    Artwork: What type of art it has and how it appeals to you
    Value: Who should read this, what people might think of it
    Rating: Just give a number between 1 and 5, where one is a manga you dislike and 5 is a manga you love.

Word count should stay under 400 words

The Essay
    This will be an analytical piece that will have a double page.

Make sure to set up a thesis and write about it. Explore a character, a scene, a cultural influence, an imagery, an art style, etc. and do not make a general description.

In other words, assume that your reader has already read the series, so what they are interested in are your thoughts and analysis of certain facets of the series.

Example topics:
    "How do clothing designs in Mary Stayed Out All Night reflect popular perceptions of rock fans"
    "Skull imagery and its significance in Necromancer"
    "Drunkenness in Manwha with reference to multiple series"

Word count between 700 and 1000 words
    Last edited by tallrice; 03-24-2012 at 07:35 PM.
    :ShinWoo_Blush:Franky_Mad:Takeo_huh:Tao_laugh:Rai_Tea:Crombel_Smirk:Franky_Cleans:Ikhan_Teary_eyes

I'd be up for the job. ^.^

Please let me know more about the details. Length? Any particular pieces (like ones that are EG related or ANY manga?)

Edit: Also, Must it be completed or can it still be on-going?

I could probably submit at least one with my other article.

We dig you!
    Im doing Choujin Gakuen, Cerberus and maybe Bonnouji. I already sent the Choujin Gakuen rough draft to Tallrice, and ill admit to wishing for another chapter or so of Cerberus to flesh it out a bit more. Sorry if you know that and are looking for more writers.

Willing to pick up other suggestions in need of review.

Pocky
    I'm interested, as well. Can we pick any manga or from only EGS projects? (Not that I would have a problem with that, of course xD)
    And I'm also curious about the lenght and the deadline. Please, give us a deadline x'D

Senior Member Is Awesome tallrice's Avatar
    A rough deadline would be March 1st. This is subject to change but if we had the materials before then, it would be best. Manga from the EGS project list, please. We might open that up a bit in later issues but for now, we want to stick with EGS related projects.

Great to see all the interest. There are 3 types of reviews

There will be three different types you can write:

The Review
    This will be one magazine page and will quickly go over
    Art (graphic, charm, suitability and techniques)
    Plot (setting and problem),
    Character development (are the characters catching and how do they progress)
    Value (Who should read this, what people might think of it)

Word count maximum 400 words

The Essay
    This should be either a single leaf or a double magazine page in length. This is an analysis and argument of a certain aspect of the manga, ie does the violence in Mary Stayed Out All Night Long shock readers and reveal the pits of society, and does it influence people in bad ways... or perhaps on the flower imagery in gangsta or how gunka no balzer reveals things about Japanese society. Something fun and interesting, completely dependent on what you want to explore.

Word count between 500 and 700 words

The In-Depth Review
    This will be a double page in the magazine and should be a proper critique of the series and mention all aspects. Somewhere between the short review, as it has all the aspects and yet similar to the essay since you have some liberty to expand it as you like and it should literary or character analysis, and an interesting argument.

Word count between 500 and 700 words

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please, as malamber did, post the series you want to review and what type of review (of the 3 listed here) you want to write. You are welcome to provide more than one but depending on how many people submit, we will have to see how many fit. Of course, if one is cut out, it can be added to a future issue of the magazine, so it is not that it won't be in there, just a question of when.

Note that I will also be editing to look for consistency, length, etc. I will contact you and discuss the drafts with the writers~

Thank you so much everyone!
    Last edited by tallrice; 01-15-2012 at 02:23 PM.

Pocky
    I would like to write about Under Prin : ) Not sure what kind... I mean, I can do the short review, but as soon as I decided on Under Prin, an idea of an essay started to form in my head
    Is it OK if I get back to you in a few days? When I have an idea which version would I prefer writing?

And thanks for the answers! (esp. the deadline x'D LoL, you can't leave writers without a deadline : D)

Senior Member Is Awesome tallrice's Avatar
    Under Prin would be perfect~ No problem on type of review, you don't have to report that in advance, just state it inside your finished draft that you submit (and try to make it conform to the criteria, if possible)

Retired EGS Honorable member Claudia's Avatar
    btw one correction ~

When tallrice means half a page he actually means 1 page
    and when he says 1 page he means double page

XD
    :ShinWoo_Blush:Franky_Mad:Takeo_huh:Tao_laugh:Rai_Tea:Crombel_Smirk:Franky_Cleans:Ikhan_Teary_eyes

Pocky
    Maybe it would be better if you'd say how many words (approximately, of course). That way we can't go wrong : )

And thanks Tallrice, I'll keep that in mind, then : )

Cool. I'd like to do a Review of 19, 21.

But also, please let me know when you open it up to projects outside of EGS. I'd love to do a review on Kurobara Alice as well. ^.^
    Last edited by Sachula; 01-15-2012 at 04:00 PM.