Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Regarding Noblesse - Format

simba

Regarding Noblesse - Format

I've been reading Noblesse for a while on mangafox and I'm actually sad to see how you cut the images... I hope to see you to stop it and leave it as it is in it's original form as I think it's more convenient and I dare to say other may aswell.. it kinda ruins the mood of the manwha/webcomic when you must wait to see what happens next (as the images are rather small when they are cut down). What I'm trying to say it's taking away alot of the comic's charm and I think the artist intended it to be a scrolling webcomic to give it a more convenient form on how to read it then making small pieces, other than that I'm thrilled to see a scanlating group that's not using google translation or any other "raw" translation... and it beeing HQ is definately a big plus! See keep up the good work with your translations(with great english) and High Quality images but please stop cutting it into small pieces :)

- Thanks

JOoa0ky

Re: Noblesse

Greetings Mr. Simba,

Here are a couple of things that you may want to ponder about

1) When they publish the webtoon in book form, how will it look like? Is the book going to be 3 meters long?!

2) Are you worried that the suspense is ruined because you have to wait to see what happens next? Well my good man... I must ask you this: Does your monitor stand 6 meters high so that you can view the whole page in order for your suspense to not be ruined? You scroll because you can't SEE the rest of the page. You can just as well click to view the next page... there is really not too much of a difference.

3) If you own a mac, too much scrolling with your finger tips will eventually leave you finger printless.

As a follow up to JOoa0ky's post...

We also cut the pages for all our other webtoons so changing noblesse would mean that we'd have to change all the others. We find it more convenient to click to the next page as opposed to scrolling. Don't worry about the size. The image is not getting smaller, only the height is changed.

We will not be changing our methods any time soon, but we appreciate your suggestion.

Thanks for your opinion!
    Flash, bam, alakazam,
    Out of the orange coloured, purple striped,
    Pretty pink, polka-dotted sky

Qwerty098765

I think something is deeply misunderstood here. A community would not 'bash' scanlators for no reason. "Easy Going Scans" is doing a great job with their high quality releases but I think they, as a team scanlating for a community, should also show a little respect.

The original Web-Manhwa is long and requires scrolling. It is more effective and polite to keep the original format (perhaps only breaking a few times where absolutely neccessary) which Son Jae Ho and Lee Gwang Su intended. Each and every medium is considered during the creative process. A movie would employ it's own unique set of tricks intended for it's intended audience and likewise does a book, magazine, audiobook, comic, manga or manhwa does. The broken up pages representing that of a normal book breaks the transition between images where spacing is constructed to show the passage of time.

Please continue to translate Noblesse however you will find your translation group will gain more respect if it was following the original format. And I hope you have asked Nicobou on DeviantArt for permission to borrow his frog as your mascot. *Frowns*.

If you want to disagree with me I ask that you do it in a scholarly manner please. ^-^
    (I won't bite :D)

Retired EGS Honorable member High Poster <3 mangafan's Avatar

u do have a good point, qwerty, but i think that either way is good. bcuz this way, ppl who like the scrolling and continuity of the pages can read it that way, and ppl lyk me who prefer to have cut pages, can read it that way. I do understand that that is the way the author(s) wrote it, but i personally like the pages cut. i dont think the other groups should stop scanning, i just think that they shouldnt criticize the way egs scans. its just different.

Uke

He's just complaining cause he got used to that format. I honestly love the flow of the story when its like that though XD. It cuts down on pages where there is absolutely nothing but movement in a fight and not much of it.
    cropping pages like that does help for ones heavy on dialogue though.

Retired EGS Honorable member Claudia's Avatar

Hello member in our forum Qwerty098765 with number of posts 1.

Lets see what you have wrote here, hmm
    Please continue to translate Noblesse however you will find your translation group will gain more respect if it was following the original format. And I hope you have asked Nicobou on DeviantArt for permission to borrow his frog as your mascot. *Frowns*.
    As for the "charming prince" yes we have his permison to use it and I also posted on his webpage on devianArt so we will not receive such questions again in the future... http://nicobou.deviantart.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty098765
    I think something is deeply misunderstood here. A community would not 'bash' scanlators for no reason. "Easy Going Scans" is doing a great job with their high quality releases but I think they, as a team scanlating for a community, should also show a little respect.
    I think you have misunderstood something here. There are groups that scanlate something because its just popular and they want the attention. There are other groups that just scanlate whatever they like with ought careing or not if that project is popular or not. Our group is in the second category. Meaning we scanlate whatever we want regandless the number of downloads it has. Meaning we work on a project because we like it and we actually care a lot of what we are giving out and try our best to provide good quality translations/edits so whoever reads it can actually laugh or cry like he/she would have done if he/she was reading the original. The translators /proofreaders/QCers around here there are times wre they spend 1 hour of their free time on a bubble debating about what the best combination of words would be to describe what the author is trying to say. So my friend or foe Qwerty098765 we do not scanlate something for a certain number of ppl we scanlate something because we simply want to. Whoever likes our scanlations reads what we provide. Whoever donít likes it there are other source were you could read the same thing. Trying to change the way we do it with number of posts 1 means nothing to us. You know why? Because we know that you are not reading it from us. If you were, you would have been kind enough to say thank you at least 1 time by now and not use your No1 post in our forum to try to change our way of doing things.

The original Web-Manhwa is long and requires scrolling. It is more effective and polite to keep the original format (perhaps only breaking a few times where absolutely neccessary) which Son Jae Ho and Lee Gwang Su intended. Each and every medium is considered during the creative process. A movie would employ it's own unique set of tricks intended for it's intended audience and likewise does a book, magazine, audiobook, comic, manga or manhwa does. The broken up pages representing that of a normal book breaks the transition between images where spacing is constructed to show the passage of time.
    And now let me explain you the reasons behind our decision to cut the pages of such a long webtoon.

Do you know why we actually cut the pages in that way?

Reason No1
    Do you actually think that giving out such long pages for this webtoon was the designerís choice?
    It was not the designerís choice, my friend or foe Qwerty098765, he simply accepted the format the webmaster asked him to provide so it can be displayed on their website.

Here are some links for 2 other English webtoons award winning ones if I may add~
    http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20021108
    http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=3

Do you notice anything different about the format they are displayed?
    If you notice that they give out the same page height more less with what we are also doing then you are right~~

Reason No2

- Our page height itís perfect to fit in your screen. So that you will not do a lot of scrolling or even no scrolling at all.
    Why we donít like scrolling?
    1st Because for someone to scroll will have to have his hand on the mouse for plenty hours if he for example will decide to start reading a webtoon with 150+ chapters long.
    2nd Because if someone owns a macintosh computer will have a very hard time scrolling because the mouse that comes with macintosh computers donít have scrolling wheel. Macintosh mouse have only 1 button to click.

- In the link hereyou can see how the apple macintosh mouse looks like.

Reason no3
    - Every artist that choose to display a webtoon has the dream or would like to see his webtoon published. I mean who wouldnít?... that is the goal of every artist/author. To publish their creations.
    -And now let me ask you if this webtoon gets published how would you think it would look like? ...Thatís right my friend or foe Qwerty098765 they would have to cut it in pages. Just like we do because 3 meters long books do not sell/exist.

Reason no4
    Because thatís the way we like it. You know actually it takes more time to cut the pages rather than leave them as they are. So you can say we are kinda perfection masochists that like to see pretty and efficient to read things.

So my friend or foe Qwerty098765 we would appreciate it if you are indeed reading from us your next msg would be a thank you msg to all of our staff who are putting out hours and effort for you to be able to read accurate translations with fine edits. If you are not reading from us we would also appreciate it if you stop posting in our forums because we like to use our free time scanlating and providing High Quality scanlations rather than answering such kind of posts.

Regards
    Claudia
    :ShinWoo_Blush:Franky_Mad:Takeo_huh:Tao_laugh:Rai_Tea:Crombel_Smirk:Franky_Cleans:Ikhan_Teary_eyes

Qwerty098765

I see alot more aggression in your post, Claudia, than mine. By all means make your scanlations available because they provide the alternate 'cut look'. On the other hand it would be nice if the scrolling format is not replaced where there is a predominant demand for the scrolling format. That, is the message.

If people don't a like certain style just drop a link to your alternate scans somewhere. If EGS wants to upload their scanlations as part of a collaborative compilation (and this IS scanning for a community) then it'd be logical to follow the accepted format. If EGS scanlates for themselves and for the sake of quality releases then I don't see why EGS would need to impose their preferred format over other ones. I am also only explaining why a scanlation group gets 'bashed'.

Please don't form an attack based on the number of posts, eg one. EGS has good quality scans and I was considering having a look at their other releases. If a group does an exceptional job I'd thank them (and that may be a first post too). It doesn't make sense to abhor a group because one doesn't like their work on one of many series. Arguing (or shall I say rebutting?) on such a basis shows a brash side to a self. Assuming one that is discordant is here to cause trouble is: wrong.

You have permission to use the frog, that's great (though credit seems to be hard to find on your site).
    And~ Thank you, your scans are of a grammatically correct and clean quality. It's just how you advertise them.

Anon.

P.s: Thank you Mangafan for replying in a friendly, 'disscussive' way. I agree with you. EGS should not need to change the way they work but I still think they need to be aware of the wider community whether they want to participate within it or not.

Retired EGS Honorable member Ivries's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty098765
    Please don't form an attack based on the number of posts, eg one. EGS has good quality scans and I was considering having a look at their other releases. If a group does an exceptional job I'd thank them (and that may be a first post too). It doesn't make sense to abhor a group because one doesn't like their work on one of many series. Arguing (or shall I say rebutting?) on such a basis shows a brash side to a self. Assuming one that is discordant is here to cause trouble is: wrong.
    Hello, Qwerty.

You're welcome to discuss, but if it's truly not your intention to offend, I'm surprised you're taking such a defensive stance.

I don't care who prefers what -- whether scrolling is better than cutting in reading format. I don't mind if you take our cuts and, for your private use, patch them together in your own time. But I do mind that this conversation has left the realm of format preferences into personal attacks, however subtle. I would thank you not to judge members of our staff -- in particular, Claudia. As a new member, you may not be aware, but she's the heart and soul of EGS. Without her, there would be no scanslations at all, much less with our level of quality and frequency.

Again, you're more than welcome to discuss civilly! I noticed (and appreciated) your strong writing/communication skills -- and in different circumstances, I might have even sought to recruit you. However, please note that much of the staff is heavily invested in the work you may just enjoy in passing.
    [size=1]avvy credits: theqilin[/size]

Senior Member Is Awesome Ibizen Thoth's Avatar

I sorta feel bad that I brought this whole topic about scanlators bashing each other up...

Oh well... I don't really have anything to add to the whole long vs. short scans. Personal preference is long-wise, if only for the sheer kinetic pull of it, but I can see a lot of merit in translating in more friendly formats, since there have been many instances where I've flown straight over yet unloaded portions of webcomic. If I may proffer my opinion (however ambivalent my nature as an normal consumer) Very few webcomics "need" the stretched format, but in some cases they do need it. Noblesse isn't necessarily one that requires the long format, though I can see where all the strong feelings come from...

Well no one should take my thoughts too seriously. After all, I'm just a light hearted plebeian who reads good work for free.

Thanks EGS for the scans. Thanks Qwerty for the food for thought.