Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Novels, Books and alike!

Retired EGS Honorable member High Poster <3 mangafan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Noobunaga View Post
    Haven't been in touch with my inner bookworm for quite awhile now, and the last books I've read were all of the books J.R. Tolkien wrote, from the Silmarilion, to The Sons of Hurin, to The Hobbit and The Lord of The Rings lastly. :D I want to get my hands on some collection extra stuff but I need to save some more, these stuff are expensive o:
    I'm loving the Tolkien and HP fandoms we have here! :D

I haven't read much for fun of late, but I've developed a love for nonfiction, despite my LOTR-brand fantasy and Asimov-type scifi origins of bookwormhood.
    Recently I read Final Exam and Complications, both reflections on being a surgeon.

The novels I read recently are so limited....
    Some Rick Riordan books, Last Night I Sang to the Monster, reread some classics (the stranger, the sun also rises, etc)

The Omnipresent Ice Queen

I still can't finish "A Song of Ice and Fire", my eReader died in the middle of "Dance with Dragons"
    I am rather impressive, yes. ©
    ---
    And still we pray.

Member We dig you! July-Junk-Food's Avatar
    Cinder (Lunar Chronicles) and Scarlett (Lunar Chronicles) are awesome...
    author is Marissa Meyer

I picked up Rob Thurman's new book Slashback early in the month when it released. It really is great, a prime example of Urban Fantasy. I would put her up there with Jim Butcher and Richard Kadrey as the Gods of Urban Fantasy. If you're looking for more traditional Fantasy though, I can't recommend Brent Weeks enough. His books are all deliciously twisted, especially The Way of the Shadows and Beyond the Shadows. If you're new to his work, start out with the Black Prism, its a bit more polished than his earlier works.

Retired EGS Honorable member Sharogy's Avatar
    Wheel of time ~~, the last book just came out 2 months ago, i finally finished it, was epic ~_~
    [IMG]http://i.minus.com/ip2Kljrdonys5.png[/IMG][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Senior Member High Poster <3 Neuro's Avatar
    ok lets see...books ive read

the seven realm saga (4 books)

the ghost books 1-4 (2 more to go ~_~) 6 all together

the book of deacon books 1-3 (reading book 3 now)

the brotherband chronicles books 1-3

still got 3 more books i want to read, the last 2 from the ghost series then starting up a new one called "Legon Awakening" book one in the Legon series

so many books in the world so little time...

ive read most of the books in my old high school librarian...how did i pass high school...i never did figure out how i did that

all i did in my 4 years there is hang with friends and read...meh
    Spoiler

Senior Member We dig you! Trashcandan's Avatar
    I'm a big supporter of my local author Sir Terry Pratchett. However if I have to be honest the greatest books I have read are also my personal favourites. That series is called The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan and finished posthumously by Brandon Sanderson. For the story think war and peace on acid. 14 books of about 1000 pages each plus a short prologue book. The books fit in many genres but are primarily fantasy adventure stories. There are both strong male and female lead characters. However, it is better story that anything Tolkien or Martin have written. Yes I know Tolkien is the grandfather of fantasy and Martin when he meets deadlines can write the most awesome of plot twist but trust me on this Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series IS better.
    [/SPOILER]

Currrrr the cat pirate!~ High Poster <3 Cursa's Avatar
    Other awesome books I've read and can really recommend are:

The Sword of Truth Series (12 Volumes + The Omen Machine and other spin offs...) by Terry Goodkind. I must confess that I really fell in love with this series right from the start. It is like entering another world. I couldn't put those books down.

Shadow Falls Series by C.C. Hunter. (not yet completed) The characters are often hormone-driven and sometimes quite shallow, but it is a light funny read for a lazy sunday afternoon. The twists are a little bit foreseeable, though.

The Sherlock Holmes Stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. No comments needed.

Howl's Moving Castle and its Sequels by Diana Wynne Jones. They are so funny and cute I've read them quite some times already~

To kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. I liked it.

The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett. I've watched the movie, too. The book was better.

And nothing can go past Alice's Adventures Under Ground and Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll. Really.
    Spoiler

Retired EGS Honorable member High Poster <3 Aurora's Avatar
    If you like something dark then I would suggest "The private memoirs and confessions of a Justified Sinner."

It's a great old Scottish novel~

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by mangafan View Post
    I'm loving the Tolkien and HP fandoms we have here! :D

I haven't read much for fun of late, but I've developed a love for nonfiction, despite my LOTR-brand fantasy and Asimov-type scifi origins of bookwormhood.
    Recently I read Final Exam and Complications, both reflections on being a surgeon.

The novels I read recently are so limited....
    Some Rick Riordan books, Last Night I Sang to the Monster, reread some classics (the stranger, the sun also rises, etc)
    High-five, LOTR fans!

The only Rick Riordans I've read are the Percy Jackson series, and that was ages ago. I don't really like the Kane Chronicles series, but a lot of people tell me it's good.
    I love Asimovs too <3 Sci-fi forever. (Especially the Foundation series).

Recently I've been reading Paul Gallicos. Very touching.